The Port Adelaide Football Club accepts the AFL findings and subsequent sanction of $100,000 fine for the breach of the AFL’s concussion protocols.
Port Adelaide GM – Football Chris Davies says the club is remorseful for the breach of protocols and understands the importance of brain health across the AFL and competitions at all levels.
“Our club understands the health and safety of players at all levels of the game is the key priority and we understand concussion and the protection of the brain health of all those playing our game is paramount,” Davies said.
“As we said publicly earlier in the week, we accept we made a significant mistake in not following the concussion guidelines appropriately. Our club doctor owned the mistake and publicly acknowledged his error.
“We accept the penalty handed down by the AFL and now look forward to cooperating with AFL chief medical officer Michael Makdissi to review the weekend’s incident to ensure all our club medical officers are fully cognisant of the AFL’s expectations regarding the concussion guidelines.”
The players involved in last Saturday night’s on field collision, Aliir Aliir and Lachie Jones, have been placed in the AFL’s mandatory 12 day concussion protocols and were not available for selection ahead of Port Adelaide’s Round 21 game against Geelong tomorrow night.