PORT ADELAIDE has reshaped its list ahead of the draft with one player delisted, another upgraded from the rookie list and two players offered contracts.
Among the list changes:
- Angus Monfries will be a Port player in 2017 after being offered a one-year deal. Monfries previously missed the 2016 season – the final on his previous contract – following a ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport banning 34 past and present Essendon players for one year.
- Nathan Krakouer will be elevated to the Power’s senior list after two consistent seasons with the Power as a rookie.
- Defender Tom Jonas has put pen to paper on a three-year deal, committing him to Alberton until at least the end of 2019.
- Cameron O’Shea has been delisted after 81 AFL games since his 2011 debut. He joins Jay Schulz, Paul Stewart, Kane Mitchell, John Butcher, Sam Colquhoun and the retired Alipate Carlile as departures from Alberton.
“We have now finalised our de-listings ahead of the 2016 draft,” Port Adelaide’s head of football Chris Davies told portadelaidefc.com.au.
“We thank Cam for his service over the last six seasons and wish him the very best with his future in footy; these are decisions we make with a long-term view to our list management.
“That marks seven changes to our list ahead of the draft, and with four picks inside the first 31, we’re happy with our position heading towards the end of November."
O'Shea posted his thanks to the club and its fans on Sunday morning.
Monfries’ new contract will provide the Power with another experienced head among its young group, while Krakouer has been rewarded for his efforts on-field over the last two seasons.
“Gus and Nathan are mature players who give us some versatility,” Davies said.
“Our young players will benefit from having Angus around the club in 2017 - we were always keen to keep him on and he has been able to return to training at the club already, in-line with the CAS ruling.
“Nathan has worked really hard over two seasons and despite his setbacks has earned his place on the senior list.”
Tom Jonas’s three-year deal provides stability to the Power’s back six into the future, according to senior coach Ken Hinkley.
Despite missing a number of games in 2016 through a mixture of injury and suspension setbacks, Jonas remains an important part of the Power’s defensive group under Nathan Bassett, as a backman capable of playing against tall and small opponents.
“Tom is a valued member of our leadership group and is one of our most influential leaders on and off the field,” Hinkley told portadelaidefc.com.au.
Tom Jonas missed most of the 2016 season through injury and a six-week suspension pic: AFL Media
“He’ll keep working with ‘Bass’ to fast track the development of our younger defenders like Darcy Byrne-Jones, Logan Austin and Tom Clurey.
“We missed Tom’s physical and aggressive approach to the game last season, and he is an important part of our backline group with his ability to play against opponents of any size like Eddie Betts or Jeremy Cameron.”
Port Adelaide's first five selections in the 2016 AFL Draft are 14, 17, 30, 31, 85. It has two vacancies on its rookie list.