The Port Adelaide Football Club congratulates former club President and Chairman Bruce McFarlane on his Member of Order (AM) Australia Day honour.
Mr McFarlane served as President and Chairman of Port Adelaide in the SANFL from 2007 to 2011, is also a former club director and has been a member of the Chairman’s Club since 1997.
Mr McFarlane, through his former business Maughan Thiem Motors, is also a long time sponsor and benefactor of Port Adelaide since 1971. He also served as an SANFL League Director from 2007 to 2010.
Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson congratulated Mr McFarlane on his Australian Day honour.
“On behalf of the entire Port Adelaide community I congratulate Bruce and his family for being bestowed this prestigious honour,” Mr Richardson said.
“Bruce is a most worthy recipient having contributed so much to the broader community through his business career and philanthropic deeds.
“From a Port Adelaide perspective, he has been a sponsor and benefactor since 1971, contributed on our Board and also as Chairman and President, and was instrumental in ensuring Port Adelaide survived in the SANFL during the 2000s providing a foundation for the eventual One Club merger in 2011.
“Without Bruce’s generosity and vision, the Port Adelaide Football Club would not be as we know it today and for that we are eternally grateful.
“He has also been one of the key people behind the regeneration of the ‘Port’ and it is exciting to see his vision for this historically significant part of our state now to come to life. I know how important this is to him personally.”
Beyond his contribution to Port Adelaide and South Australian football Mr McFarlane has for many years served the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia, the Motor Traders Association, the Automotive Exhibitors Association of South Australia and the Adelaide Business Hub in various roles.
A full list of Mr McFarlane’s career follows:
Port Adelaide Football Club
- Former Board Director, President and Chairman (SANFL) 2007-2012
- Member of the Chairman's Club, since 1997.
- Sponsor through Maughan Thiem Motor Co. 1972-2012.
- Member, since 1971.
South Australian National Football League
- League Director, 2007-2010.
Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia
- Chair, Society's Archives, since 2016.
- Member, Archives Foundation Committee, 2012-2016.
- Patron, Education Foundation Committee, since 2018.
- Member, Education Foundation Committee, 2013-2018.
- Councillor, Agri-Food and Commerce Committee, current.
- Commerce Committee Representative, Executive Committee, 1991-2013.
- Trustee, 2012-2017.
- Chairman, Society Council, 2006-2009.
- Deputy Chairman, Society Council, 2003-2006.
- Board Member, 2000-2003.
- Inaugural Chairman, Commerce Committee, 1998-2017.
- Chairman, Motor Committee, 1990-1998.
- Life Member.
Motor Traders Association of South Australia
- Former Executive Member.
- Life Member.
Automotive Exhibitors Association SA
- President, 1990s.
- Board Member, since 1984.
Adelaide Business Hub (North West Business Development Centre Incorporated)
- Vice-Chair, since early 2000s.
- Underwriter, events.
- Mentor, staff members.
- Former Managing Director, Maughan Thiem Group.
Yarramundi Investments Pty Ltd.