The Multicultural Power Cup celebrates cultural diversity and expression, promotes inclusion and builds social cohesion by recognising the positive contribution of different cultures within Australia.
Delivered to secondary school students from culturally diverse backgrounds, the program is offered as an Integrated Learning Subject aligned with the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
The program culminates with an annual carnival where students represent their school in a 9 a-side AFL competition and participate in an interactive careers exhibition to promote meaningful pathways.
Students and families are also invited to attend a Port Adelaide Football Club game at Adelaide Oval with the opportunity to participate in AFL game day experiences.
The Centre for Islamic Thought & Education at the University of South Australia conducted an external review on the program.
Key findings include:
- Interaction with different age and background groups brings joy, patience, advances awareness and understanding and is a plus for developing personal skills.
- The program provides a platform of awareness and interactions with different identities and helps in creating a feeling of belonging to a group.
- Through the program, identity becomes a bridge to interact, understand and respect people and a platform to eradicate identity misconceptions.
- The program helps participants to open about their identity and cultural backgrounds as well as open their minds by giving more insights on different cultures and backgrounds.
- The program helps participants to bring forward their own cultural backgrounds, to connect back with their own cultures.
- The program helps participants to be proud of Aboriginal history and culture, eager to learn Aboriginal history and to respect and value Aboriginal culture.
Direct enquiries to Diversity Programs Coordinator, Michael Triantafilakis via firstname.lastname@example.org.