PORT ADELAIDE’S Next Generation Academies will be on hand as the SANFL’s Talent Department searches South Australia for the best teenage Indigenous and Multicultural talent when the 2020 SANFL Diversity Talent ID Program gets underway later this month.
Ranging from Ceduna in the north west to the south east’s Mount Gambier, a series of trials in regional SA, which will include AFL Combine testing and skills-based drills, will be conducted with the goal of discovering talented Indigenous and Multicultural footballers aged 15 and under.
Meanwhile, a metropolitan-based trial will be held at Nazareth College in Flinders Park on Sunday March 15.
Testing gets underway on Tuesday 10 March, with the seven trials across SA leading to two-day camp in Adelaide on April 4-5.
After that, the most talented Indigenous players will push for selection in the AFL’s Flying Boomerangs team and Multicultural players will be considered for the AFL’s World Team line-up.
The state-based trials are the beginning of the SA talent pathway and can lead into selection for Port Adelaide’s Next Generation Academies.
Port Adelaide’s Martin Frederick, who has South Sudanese heritage, is an excellent example of this pathway at work, with the defender making his way onto the club’s AFL list after representing SA’s All-Nations side.
Regional Flying Boomerangs and All Nations Word team trials
- Meningie Area School | Tuesday 10th March | 4.00pm - 6pm
- Tenison Woods College | Mt Gambier | Wednesday 11th March | 4.00pm – 6.00pm
- Renmark High School | Thursday 12th March | 4.00pm – 6.00pm
- Central Yorke School Maitland | Friday 13th March | 4.00pm – 6.00pm
- Ceduna Area School | Tuesday 24th March | 3.30pm – 5.30pm
- Port Lincoln High School | Wednesday 25th March | 4.00pm – 6.00pm
- ETSA Oval, Port Augusta | Thursday 26th Marchl | 4.00pm – 6.00pm
Metropolitan Flying Boomerangs and All Nations Word team trials
- Nazareth College, Flinders Park Campus, 1 Hartley Rd, Flinders Park | Sunday 15th March | 9.00am – 12.00pm
Player Selection Criteria: Indigenous and Multicultural participants aged 14/15 years (born 2005 & 2006)
Indigenous: From Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
Multicultural: To be considered for selection you or one parent must have been born overseas from a non-English speaking background, our target will be those from, ie African, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Indian and Pacific Islander communities.