Voss, who was senior coach of the Brisbane Lions from 2009 to 2013, fills the position recently vacated by Phil Walsh.
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas says the club is thrilled to secure the services of the triple premiership captain.
“To have a person of the calibre of Michael Voss join the Port Adelaide Football Club is very exciting for all involved,” said Mr Thomas.
“His record as an elite midfielder for Brisbane is legendary and his five years as the Senior Coach of the Brisbane Lions will be enormously valuable to Ken and the playing group.
“Our Club is continuing its drive to build a football program full of people with character, values and a burning desire to succeed. Michael Voss is a perfect fit.”
Voss, who won the Brownlow Medal in 1996 and the coveted Players Association ‘Most Valuable Player’ award in 2002 and 2003, says he is very excited to be joining the coaching team at Port Adelaide.
“Joining Port Adelaide is a chance to be part of a fantastic journey with a group of exciting young players,” said Voss.
“The brand of footy played under Ken Hinkley and the continued growth of the club over the last two years has been very impressive and I am looking forward to contributing to that journey.”
Voss has spent the last twelve months working in the media which included being coach of the hit football reality show “The Recruit” on Fox 8. He says the last year has presented some exceptional opportunities.
“I can’t thank enough the people at The Recruit for their innovation, creativity and the many friendships formed, and everyone at Fox Footy and SEN for embracing me within their teams,” said Voss.
“I was committed to media for another twelve months but in the end Port Adelaide presented me with an opportunity too good to refuse and after several family discussions we agreed it was the right time for us as a family.”
Voss says he is now relishing the opportunity to immerse himself within a football program once again.
“After living in a developing football state all my life we are very excited as a family by the prospect of moving to an AFL city and a more traditional football state,” said Voss.
“Port Adelaide has created a strong team of coaches and support around the players committed to continual improvement.
“I look forward to contributing to this as well as learning from Ken and the team. I can’t wait to get started and begin working with an emerging, exciting and hungry midfield group.”
MICHAEL VOSS fact file
• Played 16 years and 289 games with the Brisbane Bears/Lions from 1992-2006, kicking 245 goals and was rated among the very best in the game’s history
• Brisbane Lions captain for a record 11 years, he won the Brownlow Medal in 1996 and six times finished in the medal’s top 10
• Captain of the Brisbane Lions triple premiership side 2001-02-03 that is arguably the greatest side of all-time
• He was a five-time Brisbane club champion and five-time All-Australian, twice as captain
• In 2002-03 he won the coveted Players association ‘Most Valuable Player’ award, as judged by his peers
• Named captain of the Queensland Team of the Century in 2003 and four times was a finalist in the Queensland Sports Star of the Year award
• AFL personality of the Year 2006
• Brisbane Lions senior coach 2009-2013
• Coach of the hit football reality show “The Recruit” on Fox 8 in 2014 and a well-respected commentator with Fox Footy, SEN and The Age this year after an earlier stint with Channel 10 prior to coaching
• Age 39 – Married to Donna with three children, Casey and Kayla (14) and Gemma (11)